My freshman year of college, I took one of the most risky leaps when it comes to hair: I chopped off my long locks into a 20’s style bob. I left the salon with chin length hair that was shaved in back with short pixie bangs in front.
The look was a blast, but I eventually missed the versatility of my long hair, which took a whole year to grow back. Now,when I get a hankering for short hair again, I’ll know just to do this look – a faux bob – sported by women in the 30’s. Very old Hollywood.
Short hair for a day without the salon visit or the year long commitment? Yes please!
What You’ll Need
1. Sponge Roller Set – about $10 at Target
2. Spray Bottle
3. Bobby Pins
4. Hair Spray
5. Hair Net
What to Do
1. Spray your hair damp with some water
2. Roll hair in sponge rollers (please see video below for placement)
3. Secure rollers in a hair net
4. Sleep on overnight (surprisingly comfy) or let air dry for at least 3hrs.
5. In the morning, remove rollers closest to the face and brush each out individually, smoothing with pomade
6. Remove rollers in back, pin back hair to the nape of the neck so it looks bob-length
7. Let the front curls frame your face
8. Hair spray!!
9. Just for fun, tell everyone you cut your hair
I highly recommend watching the video below by the talented LisaFreemontStreet that inspired me to do this look. She works wonders when it comes to vintage hair styling. I’ve been learning so much about how to use hot rollers, sponge rollers, pin curls, and pillow rollers just by watching her vids. Happy styling! 😉