Bodysuits are a one-piece wonder, offering support, flexibility and tons of styling options. From professional to downright sexy, bodysuits are a great piece to incorporate into your wardrobe…but how do you wear one? We’ve got you covered! We’ve put together a style cheat sheet with ideas for outfits, where to wear them and answers to all your burning bodysuit questions. Ready to find the one (piece) you want? Read on!
What is a Bodysuit and Why Do I Want to Wear One?
Bodysuits are one-piece garments, similar to a leotard or one-piece bathing suit, that come in a range of styles from long sleeved and blousey to spaghetti strapped and skintight. They function as any shirt would (except a crop top!), but have the added benefit of tucking in seamlessly to whatever bottoms you choose to pair with it. Most bodysuits also provide tension from the shoulders to the crotch to help play up your curves, especially with low-cut necklines. Basically, they can suck you in, lift you up and work as the perfect base layer for any outfit!
How Do I Wear a Bodysuit?
Bodysuits can be worn with jeans, pants, skirts and shorts – any bottom you can think of, you can probably wear it with a bodysuit. Styling a bodysuit can range from casual to professional to glam and sexy.
When going casual with your bodysuit, think simple styles in stretchy fabrics for a grab and go look. Simple tank top bodysuits (with some fun details like an open back or lacing up the sides) look great paired with denim shorts, jogger pants or distressed jeans. Throw on some sneakers or a low block heel and you’ve got a weekend-ready look you can wear running errands, hanging with friends or heading to brunch.
When styling a professional outfit, bodysuits are a great option to keep your look sleek and tucked in all day. Their close-to-the-body silhouette also makes them perfect for layering under blazers and jackets. Some of our favorite bodysuits are business in the front, party in the back! With professional necklines and subdued colors to look chic under a blazer for work, and sexy back details to be shown off once you are out of the office, bodysuits are the ideal piece to go from desk to date night!
When you want to get dressed up, turn to the bodysuit to create a cool-girl outfit equal parts sexy and versatile. Opt for sheer mesh with strategic coverage, lace-up details, off-the-shoulder styles and plunging necklines in a variety of lush fabrics to show off when you’re going out at night. Bodysuits paired with jeans are great for heading to a bar, while leather pants or a skirt are chic options for clubs, lounges or a hot date.
Bodysuits can also function like lingerie, creating a sexy base layer to be worn under low cut tops and slouchy sweaters. These scene-stealers can work on their own too, it just depends on how much skin you want to bare!
Let’s face it, even with all the benefits and styling options, bodysuits do come with a few practical issues to keep in mind. Here’s the real talk answers for some of the questions you might have when styling your bodysuit (after the jump!):
- Are panty lines a problem for you? You’ll probably want to wear a thong bottomed bodysuit to keep everything looking sleek from the back. If you aren’t comfortable in a thong, there are plenty of full-cut bottoms, just be sure the sizing of the bodysuit is perfect to keep panty lines from disrupting the line of your outfit when wearing formfitting pants and skirts.
- How do you go to the bathroom in a bodysuit? Are you comfortable stripping down in the bathroom stall? Find a bodysuit that has a snap closure if not. Usually one or two small snaps at the crotch of the bodysuit keep it secure, but some bodysuits function more like a one-piece bathing suit with no snaps. That means getting naked (or creative) if you have to use the bathroom. All of the products listed on Lulus.com tell you how the bodysuit is meant to be worn and most websites will include the closure information. If you’re ever concerned, take a look at the product reviews or call customer service to answer any questions about the details of our bodysuits.
- Are you falling out of it or feel like you are swimming in too much fabric? With bodysuits, sizing is key! For women with a longer torso, bodysuits can feel a bit snug since they have to fit from top to bottom. Those with longer legs and shorter torsos may feel like the straps are too long or the bottom is too baggy. Stretchy fabrics and adjustable straps can help with this, but don’t be afraid to size up or down with a bodysuit to make sure you get the perfect fit. No one has to know and you will look flawless (and be comfortable)! Use the fit predictor tool and read through the product reviews to get an idea of what size would be best for you.
- Do you wear underwear with a bodysuit? While bodysuits look like a one-piece bathing suit and have an attached bottom, they don’t always have the added support or comfort you might find when wearing a pair of underwear (think a sheer bodysuit or one that has an extremely narrow crotch area). It’s up to you if you want to wear underwear with your bodysuit, but for styling purposes, make sure the pair you wear fits well beneath the bodysuit to avoid additional panty lines.
- Are the bottoms you’re pairing with your bodysuit showing too much? Some bodysuits have a higher rise on the leg, meaning the higher the cut, the more skin exposed on your hips. If you are wearing a lower rise bottom, this could mean you will have some skin showing above the waistband and below the leg opening of your bodysuit. This can look totally sexy (check Instagram or Pinterest for some inspo), but if you aren’t comfortable with exposing skin in this area, consider higher waisted pants and skirts to wear with your bodysuits.
Are you ready to step out in a bodysuit? Shop our picks below and be sure to share your favorite looks on Instagram with #lovelulus. Have any other style questions you’re dying to have answered? Ask away in the comments below and we’ll consider it for a future blog post!