Fashion is the name of the game here at Lulus.com, where an innovative staff is dedicated to the world of clothes and the pursuit of cute. One such Lulus fashionista, Miss Carlie Oxsen, is absolutely adored around the office for her unique and inventive style.
Trendy and creative, Carlie is our go-to girl for style questions and outfit inspiration. Below is a step-by-step guide to recreating one of our favorite Carlie ensembles: the simple men’s shirt turned adorable and stylish skirt.
- 1-1.5 yards of wide elastic
- A man’s button-up shirt
- A sewing machine
- Straight pins
1. Buy a man’s dress shirt (steal from boyfriend or visit your local thrift store….)
2. Cut a straight line across shirt, beginning right below sleeves of shirt.
3. Measure a piece of elastic around your waste where you would like the skirt to sit (Leave 1 inch of length for overlap.)
4. Unbutton bottom half of shirt and lay out flat.
5. Stretch the cut piece of elastic to fit the length of the shirt.
6. While holding elastic completely stretched out pin the shirt to the elastic. Place one straight pin every 3 inches.
7. Sew elastic to shirt (sew top and bottom of elastic).
8. Sew on one button over the elastic on the button side of shirt.
9. Cut a slit in the opposite end of the elastic to fit the button 10 cut off any excess length of elastic.
10. Sport your new skirt on your next outing, and be prepared for showering of compliments!