Yes, we know there is a “day” for everything now — but today is National Women’s Health and Fitness Day, a holiday we are wholeheartedly getting behind. Because what’s more important than your health? Spoiler alert: Nothing.
Now we’re not talking about morphing into an exercise and nutrition guru or quitting your job to become a fitness influencer — though of course, you’re more than welcome to do either of those if it feels right for you. No, our goals are smaller, more manageable, and, we think, more realistic. It doesn’t take a total transformation to become the healthier version of you — even little changes can have major impact on your overall well-being. So today, we’re celebrating National Women’s Health and Fitness Day by giving you seven super simple ways to get healthier.
1. Swap diet soda for seltzer. We love us some carbonated sweetness. That said, it’s not exactly the best thing for us. So instead, try reaching for seltzer and get the fizzy fix (and water intake) you’re looking for —without the added sodium, aspartame, and sugar.
2. Eat veggies first. Treating your side dish like the main event can keep you from eating more calories. So chow down on your vegetables before you dive into the rest of your meal — you’re more likely to eat something you don’t like as much when you’re hungriest (ie: at the start of a meal).
3. Add 5 minutes of meditation to your day. It’s easy to fall into the trap of neglecting your mental health by saying you’re just too busy. But the truth is your emotional well-being is as important — and linked to— your physical health. There are plenty of apps (we like Insight Timer) that let you choose ultra-short, guided meditations to start your day, unwind after work or school, or get you through a midday stress-out. We promise, you have 5 minutes. Once you start, you’ll find yourself craving those zen moments— and maybe even work up to longer ones.
4. Have a glass of kombucha tea instead of wine in the evenings to unwind. Don’t get us wrong, we love us some wine, but it can disrupt your sleep and cause you to put on weight. An ancient Chinese beverage also known as the “Immortal Health Elixir,” Kombucha tea is made with tea, sugar bacteria and yeast: This fermented drink will give you the texture and carbonation of its alcoholic counterpart, without the negative effects.
5. Do girls’ night at the gym or go to a class before you go out to brunch. Who doesn’t love getting together with her girl gang? Too often though, our plans revolve around food and while catching up over a big brunch is just fun (and delicious!), try instead meeting up with your ladies to do an activity like a workout, a dance class, or something that’s enjoyable, active, and unrelated to gorging yourself.
6. Commit to a workout challenge online or at your gym. The best way to keep fit is to keep yourself accountable. From Tone It Up and the SWEAT app to Instagram trainers and local gyms that do boot camps or 30-day challenges, there are tons of ways to make yourself answer to someone. If you’re waiting for a sign to start, this is it!
7. If you don’t like something, don’t do it. If you don’t like running, you don’t have to run to get cardio into your day. If you aren’t into weight training, you can do yoga, Pilates, barre, or kickboxing. Working out should be enjoyable, so don’t feel like you have to do something just because other people like it. Try a new activity or work out with a new purpose (to get healthy instead of losing weight) until you find what you love.
Which hack are you trying to get healthy? Tell us in the comments!