As Wild Week continues, I wanted to bring you a sweet treat tutorial so you can celebrate with desserts, too! After much research on Pinterest and baking blogs, I found a super cool way to get leopard spots inside of your cupcakes!
1. Bake the chocolate and carrot cakes as directed on the box. Don’t worry about these being perfect, because you’ll crumble them up into a cake ball mixture next!
2. After the cakes are baked and cooled, scoop them into separate mixing bowls and crumble. Add frosting to each by the spoonful until it is malleable enough to roll into cake balls. Place the mixtures in the freezer for about 30 minutes so that they become easier to roll.
3. Take the chocolate mixture and flatten it between two sheets of wax paper, then break into flat chunks. Roll the carrot cake mixture into tiny ball shapes – they don’t have to be perfect because no two leopard spots are ever the same!
4. Place each carrot cake ball into a chunk of the flattened chocolate mixture and press around the carrot cake ball. Leave some of the carrot cake showing through (this will create the contrasting spots).
5. Prepare your last batch of cake mix. In cupcake tins or a cake pan, alternate a layer of cake balls and a layer of batter, repeating until filled. Note that for cupcakes, you’ll only need 5-6 small cake balls in each cup.
6. Bake as directed on the box and cut down the middle (or take a bite!) to see the wild design in the center!