The closet is a girl’s ultimate domain where we choose the outfits that will shape the rest of our week. If you don’t see it, you’re not going to wear it! So, it is always a good idea to keep your closet neat and organized so you can maximize your space and get use of all of your items.
Springtime is a perfect time to give your closet a face-lift so you can continue to add more precious items to your collection and clear out some of the things you no longer wear.
Here are some tips that you should repeat every season so your closet remains in tip-top shape all year round:
1. Take everything out so you can dust your shelves and clean the cobwebs in the corners. No one likes dirty garments!
2. Go through all of your clothes to determine what you will donate or give away. Maybe even do a clothing swap with your friends so you can switch up your wardrobe a little bit!
3. Separate items that are out of season. Since it is currently spring, it is time to store some of your thick knits and winter coats that tend to take up a lot of space. Under the bed storage boxes are ideal for storing these clothes.
4. After you have all of your clothes out you should organize them by type of clothing, occasion, hem and sleeve length, and then color. For instance, if you have a bunch of jeans you can organize them by style (pencil, bell bottom, etc.), and then arrange them from light to dark.
5. Once all of your items are grouped into certain categories, you should determine what gets hung up and what does not. Loose knits tend to stretch out once placed on a hanger, so these should be folded. Jeans could also be folded to maximize space if one sees it necessary. Shelf dividers are ideal for this!
6. Use the same hangers on every item. Personally, I love velvet non-slip hangers! When all hangers are identical, it makes it so that every item of clothing is at the same eye-level and no piece gets left out.
7. Fabric storage bins or hat boxes are great for storing all of those extra things that normally just create clutter.
8. Vertically line handbags by size on a shelf.
9. Closet door shoe racks are awesome because they show every pair! A fellow blogger suggested hanging some scarves on the bottom of the shoe rack so you can pick the perfect one to match your outfit.
10. Another great way to organize your shoes is to have clear shoe boxes, or take a picture of the shoe and place it on the front of the box. This is a very Carrie Bradshaw technique for all of her Manolo Blahnik’s, but it also works for those on a budget.
11. Keep boots in an upright position; put old magazines or newspaper into your boots so they remain upright all year. If your boots are just thrown into a bin they will never be the same again!
This should keep you all busy for a while!
Did I leave anything out? Tell us your favorite organizing techniques!