When the temps start rising, it’s always tempting to duck into a dark, air-conditioned movie theater to catch the next big blockbuster. The scent of popcorn, refreshing soda, and the silver screen definitely has an undeniable appeal, but sometimes a night in with your BFFs pouring over classic movies you maybe forgot about can be even more fun. All you need is a set of comfy PJs, your Netflix or Amazon subscription, and all your best friends of course! To make planning your big night in a little easier, we’ve compiled a list of out fave TBT movies that we may or may not be binge-ing on all weekend.
1. Mean Girls (2004) – Has there ever been a more quotable movie? I mean, even a U.S. President slipped in a reference for us to enjoy. Even if you’ve somehow never seen it, you’ve definitely heard a Mean Girls reference at least once. Even though this instant classic came out over 14 years ago, (what?!) its brilliant comedy holds its own in 2018. Kick off your movie night with some snacks, a pink cocktail (so your friends know you’re not a regular mom, you’re a cool mom) and prepare for an evening of bonding with your BFFs over like, the rules of feminism.
2. Sleepover (2004) – Awkward pre-teen crushes, unfortunate self-tanner accidents, and sneaking around your parents sounds an awful lot like the standard middle school experience, but this one has a baby Evan Peters to make heart eyes at. This fun, teen romp boasts popular girls flaunting their learner’s permits, a cocktail dress-wearing while skateboard-riding heroine, and a legendary scavenger hunt for the coveted high school lunch spot that’ll instantly transport you back to a time of training bras and genuine slumber parties. If you’re planning a sleepover any time soon, why wouldn’t this be at the top of your watchlist?
3. The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003) – If you try to tell me you watched The Lizzie McGuire Movie and didn’t come out of it hoping someday a dreamy Italian popstar would sweep you off your feet before setting you up to pose as his singing partner and introducing you to a life of glamour and fame (all before realizing your loyal BFF was the real dreamboat all along), I’d assume you’re lying. This spinoff of everyone’s favorite Disney Channel sitcom was #goals before hashtags were a thing and its singalong soundtrack may or may not have your entire slumber party singing and dancing in your pajamas all night long.
4. The Princess Diaries (2001) – Speaking of our middle school fantasies, who didn’t come out of watching The Princess Diaries hoping one day our mysterious grandmother might one day reveal to us we’re the heir to the throne of a small country? Based on how popular the reboot of Queer Eye has become, it’s apparent we all still love a great makeover story, so grab your girls, do a face mask or two and have fun pretending to be princesses in training. We won’t judge, we swear! The best part of this classic fave? It was just added onto Netflix. Pass the popcorn, please!
5. Romeo + Juliet (1996) – A young Leo DiCaprio, a totally modern twist on a classic love story, and neon lighting cool enough to rival Prada’s 2018 F/W Collection. Need I say more? If the love story doesn’t make you swoon, the ’90s fashion will! Halloween costume inspo, anyone? And even though the film is completely updated, the screenplay uses the original dialogue so you may pick up a new phrase to tout around when you want to impress!
6. Clueless (1995) – Before there was Iggy Azalea and her “Fancy” music video, there was Cher Horowitz. From the ’90s slang to the incredible costuming, Clueless definitely made its cultural mark. Fans of preppy two-piece sets probably have this classic high school flick to thank. Between all the plaid, the iconic LWD, and her impeccable layering, Cher’s sense of style definitely has a place in 2018. Watch this film when you’re in a fashion rut and you need some major inspo. We still want her uh-mazing closet app for easy outfit coordination.
7. The Goonies (1985) – While you’re anxiously awaiting the next season of Stranger Things, why not pop in this feel-good classic and count all the references you can spot! This rowdy adventure flick is chock full of ’80s nostalgia, from the Cyndi Lauper penned theme song to the group Halloween-costume friendly fashion. Watch this movie when you’re in the mood for an adventure, but don’t actually want to leave your couch. Watch this movie when you want to remember the days of riding your bike around your neighborhood. Watch this movie when you wanna tear up over the power of friendship. Point is: watch this movie.
8. Grease (1978) – A timeless classic that will have you singing, dancing, and swooning over a young Travolta in super skinny jeans? Yes, please! We can’t get enough of the vintage cars, leather pants, and a hunk with a heart of gold in the end. This one appeals to all of us who were secretly crushing on the high school “bad boy” or longing for a matching-jacket donning clique. If you’re fine with hand-jiving your way through the evening, this one’s a no-brainer.
9. Breathless (1960) – If this list wasn’t already filled with style goals, Jean Serberg’s O.G. Cool Girl style might have you wanting to take the plunge and rock a bold pixie cut + striped shirt combo. This French New Wave trailblazer is seriously the stuff of Pinterest boards with its main character effortlessly pulling off laid-back separates, the fedora hat, and cat eyeliner. If if you need vintage-chic inspiration, look no further than Breathless.
10. Roman Holiday (1953) – Oh, Audrey! Your style, your charms, and your grace have been enchanting us for literal decades, but in Roman Holiday you’re an actual princess on the DL cruising around Rome on a Vespa with a certified hottie? You’re giving us all the envy now. Even if it’s totally possible to re-create your big day out, we’re just as fine kicking it in our own living rooms, and wondering if we can pull off mirco-bangs as easily as you.
What did you think of our list? What are your favorite throwback movies? Let us know down below or tag us with #lovelulus on Instagram!